If you want to learn to how to build a more creative life, I recommend Austin Kleon’s Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative.
One of my favourite quotes from Steal Like an Artist:
The best advice is not to write what you know, it’s to write what you like. Write the kind of story you like best—write the story you want to read.
- I liked his newspaper blackout poetry that was included throughout the book. Blackout poetry is made by crossing out words from a newspaper with a sharpie to make a poem of the words that remain. You can buy some of his blackout poetry here.
- I also liked his hand lettering and illustration, which you can see on the cover and on most pages in the book.
- I like all the relevant quotes included.
- I love the size of the book and the feel of the cover. Yes, I’m a geek.
DISLIKES: It’s short (140+ pages), which is nice because it’s a fairly quick read but I want to read more! I guess that’s not really a dislike.
If you like this book, try:
Austin has also written Show Your Work, which I would like to buy.
- 5 Stars: This is a book I have already re-read a few times, so I recommend that you buy it!
More Creative Book Reviews
Read all my creative book reviews.
P.S. And sign up for the email newsletter for more creative projects.
I own this book and of course, the opinions are my own. Affiliate links used wherever possible, which means that at no additional cost to you I make a small commission if you make a purchase.