If you want to learn to how to build a more creative life, I recommend Austin Kleon’s Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative.
One of my favourite quotes from Steal Like an Artist:
The best advice is not to write what you know, it’s to write what you like. Write the kind of story you like best—write the story you want to read.
- I liked his newspaper blackout poetry that was included throughout the book. Blackout poetry is made by crossing out words from a newspaper with a sharpie to make a poem of the words that remain. You can buy some of his blackout poetry here.
- I also liked his hand lettering and illustration, which you can see on the cover and on most pages in the book.
- I like all the relevant quotes included.
- I love the size of the book and the feel of the cover. Yes, I’m a geek.
DISLIKES: It’s short (140+ pages), which is nice because it’s a fairly quick read but I want to read more! I guess that’s not really a dislike.
If you like this book, try:
Austin has also written Show Your Work, which I would like to buy.
- 5 Stars: This is a book I have already re-read a few times, so I recommend that you buy it!
More Creative Book Reviews
Read all my creative book reviews.
If you like this post, see more projects by The Handcrafted Story on Instagram.
P.S. And sign up for the email newsletter for more creative projects.