This is my first Blurb photo book review and [SPOILER ALERT] I’m really happy with this photo book. I wanted to print a photo book with Blurb for a long time, and finally ordered my first Blurb photo book in June 2014. The size I chose is their “Small Square 7×7 inches (18×18 cm)”, with 60 pages. I chose my favourite photos to represent our family in 2012 and all the photos are from my iPhone 4S.
- The binding feels good. I’m glad I chose the hardcover option. This book feels really nice, and I’m picky about book covers. I think part of why I really like the cover is that it’s a matte finish, which I much prefer, rather than a glossy finish. I’m very happy with the quality of the binding and overall quality.
- The paper is high quality. I upgraded the paper to Premium Paper, lustre finish. I can’t remember where I’d read that it’s worth it to upgrade Blurb paper, but I did and it’s really great paper.
- The printing quality is good considering the source. All the photos in this book are from my iPhone 4S, with quite a few from Instagram filters and I’m satisfied with the printing quality considering the source. I wouldn’t want to print these photos any larger since they just don’t have the sharpness required.
- Small Blurb logo on end sheet. There is a small Blurb logo on the last page, which I think can be removed for an extra fee.
- No photo on back cover. The back cover is blank because I couldn’t figure out how to add a photo there. I’m not sure if it’s possible to add a photo there or if I just couldn’t figure it out. I was in a rush, so didn’t contact Blurb to figure this out, but I would prefer to have a photo there.
- Extra cost for white end sheets. I don’t think I should have to pay extra for white-coloured end sheets (the default is standard mid-grey) but I’m glad I did, since the rest of the book has a white background and the grey would have looked out of place.
HAND WRITE IN YOUR PRINTED BOOK
I didn’t include any text in the photo book and decided after looking at it in person that I wanted to add more of the story behind the photos. Since these photos were from Instagram, I looked back at the photos on Instagram and used the comments I made there to hand-write in the book. I used an American Crafts Precision Pen, which works well, but I did need to wait a couple minutes for the ink to dry before I could turn the page.
OTHER THINGS ABOUT BLURB
I haven’t tried it yet, but Blurb offers an option to sell your Blurb book on Amazon.
I will definitely print with Blurb again. I like the idea of a book a year the same size.
Have you printed with Blurb? Post a link in the comments.