Art Journal Supplies
I’ve recently started art journaling again and had a hard time finding lists of art journal supplies online so I made my own. Here’s a list of 33 awesome art journal supplies, including pens, paper cutting tools, brush script supplies, adhesive, sewing and calligraphy tools.
Please add your favourite art journal tools in the comments, I’d love to find out more.
Art Journal Pens Gift Guide
- American Crafts Slick Writers. I like the fine point best. These are fantastic for writing on glossy paper, like photos.
- Uni-Ball Signo retractable gel pen in black micropoint. This is my current favourite everyday pen. Not for writing on photos.
- Stablio Point 88 Black Fine .44 mm tip. I like a variety of pens, and sometimes I like to use these. I like that these tips are more rounded than square.
- Micron Pigma Ink Pens by Sakura. I have found these pen tips to be too square for me sometimes, however, these pens can be used to draw and then watercolor on top, and they won’t bleed.
Paper Cutting Tools
- Scissors. Tim Holtz Micro Serrated Scissors. The more projects I work on, the more it seems that my scissors aren’t working well. So this pair of scissors is on my wishlist.
- Paper trimmer. I think a paper trimmer is pretty essential. I’m using the Fiskars 12 Inch SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer, which really needs some new blades. If you’re making an order, get extra blades. UPDATE: my paper cutter didn’t last long, and I wouldn’t recommend it. I have heard good things about the Rotatrim cutters, which are more expensive, but it’s on my wish list. In the meantime, I use my rotary cutter, cutting mat and acrylic ruler – it’s not ideal.
- Cutting mat. I like the Fiskars 12×18 size for small projects.
- Craft knife. Fiskars Fingertip Craft Knife.
Brush Script Supplies
- Brushes. Bamboo paint brush for brush script. I have the size 2 and would like an even smaller size.
- Plastic paint palette. A plastic palette is used to mix the paint and water.
- Paint. I really love this goache: Winsor & Newton Designers Gouache Tube, 14ml, Jet Black because it dries so black.
- Course. Brush script takes a lot of practice. I highly recommend the Life | Scripted course by Kal Barteski at Studio Calico.
- Paper. I recently bought one ream of plain white paper for $3 at Wal-Mart. This is fantastic for practicing brush script. (not pictured)
- Glass jar. To clean the brush and thin the paint or goache. (not pictured)
Adhesive for Art Journaling
Like many art journal tools, you might have to try a few before you find the glue that works best for you.
- Adhesive tape runners. I have use the little tape runners, like this Tombow adhesive applicator, which are a nice size to hold. I have bought some for cheap at dollar stores and find they don’t work nearly as well.
- I recently bought the Scotch Tape Glider that holds 36 yards of tape. I wouldn’t recommend the big tape glider for kids, it’s just too big for little hands. But I love that it holds so much tape, so it’s a lot cheaper in the long run, since you can get replacements.
- Glue sticks. I’ve used the Scotch Craft Stick and
- the UHU stick, they both seem to work well.
Calligraphy Set Gift
- Nib. Nikko G pointed nib.I went through a few nibs before I found this one that works for me. I would recommend buying a few different nibs to try.
- Nib holder. I like the basic Speedball holder but you can get other kinds.
- Ink. I haven’t tried many inks, although I do have a few. I started using the Higgins Eternal Black Writing Ink and it seems to work well.
- Paper. It must be the Boris Marker Layout paper pad for me. The right kind of paper is crucial to your calligraphy success. Do not even try using regular computer paper with a pointed nib, it will just scratch the paper and get tiny pieces stuck in the nib (from personal experience).
- Course. The Art of Modern Calligraphy by Molly Jacques on Skillshare.
Sewing Gift Ideas
I use and love all of these sewing tools.
- Sewing machine. Brother CS6000i. I use my sewing machine for paper and fabric.
- Embroidery scissors. I like the Fiskars 4.5 Inch Short Cut Snip for cutting small pieces of thread when using my sewing machine or embroidering by hand.
- Fabric scissors. When cutting fabric, my favourite scissors are the Fiskars 8 Inch Softouch Spring Action Razor Edged Scissor.
- Cutting mat. When cutting fabric, I often use three tools: my biggest cutting mat, the Fiskars 24X36 Inch Self Healing Rotary Cutting Mat, my acrylic ruler and rotary cutter.
- Acrylic ruler the Fiskars 6×24 Inch Acrylic Ruler.
- Rotary cutter. Fiskars 45mm Contour Rotary Cutter. I also use my rotary cutter for paper (just try to use a different blade for fabric).
I own all four of these books and have enjoyed them all. Only the first book is specifically about art journaling, the others are about creativity and being inspired and making the work.
- Art Journal Art Journey: Collage and Storytelling for Honoring Your Creative Process by Nicole Rae. Read my review.
- Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon. Read my review.
- The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life by Twyla Tharp.
Review coming soon. UPDATE: Read my review.
- The Artist’s Way: A Course in Discovering and Recovering Your Creative Self by Julia Cameron. Read my review.
What are your favourite art journaling supplies?
P.S. Sign up for The Handcrafted Story email newsletter for more creative ideas.